Monday, August 16, 2010

Happy 65th Indonesia!

Back from a great weekend in Bali...it was beautiful and relaxing. My first time to see the Indian Ocean! We were looking at hotel options for an IHME conference next year, and checking out the awesome resorts was my pleasure. We also spent some time in Kuta, the tourist hub of the island. There were lots of restaurants with Western food that I'd been missing and bars with cheap drinks that played American music, which made for a fun Friday night. My favorite part of the weekend was Sunday afternoon, when I took the guide book's advice and headed to the southwest tip of the island to the best beach I've ever seen. It was a postcard come to life and I spent an amazing few hours staring at the waves and lounging under an umbrella.
Tomorrow (Tuesday, August 17) is Indonesia's Independence Day. It's a public holiday and while apparently there are usually various ceremonies and games, I think it is going to be more subdued this year since it falls during Ramadhan, which started a week ago.



Door from the villa straight to the beach.




One of many temples. (Bali is mostly Hindu)
Daily offering set outside of most stores and businesses.


My favorite beach.





1 comment: